With the holidays drawing near we start making lists and checking them twice to see what we need. The internet seems to be the hottest place to find all your Christmas gear, but before you got shopping on the internet, why not take a walk around your neighborhood stores and locally owned businesses. Supporting and giving back to your community is the best way to help the economy and your community.
In this article from Sew Green, Gift for Good, Hayley mentions all the ways you can give back. Below are little snippets from the article.
- Donations – I put this first, because the absolute best gift you can give is to your community. It is also a huge relief for people who might stress over finding the perfect gift, plus they can give one gift donation as a family gift* and feel good about themselves in the process.
- Memberships – Museums, zoos, botanical gardens, aquariums, public radio, etc. These are donations with benefits.
- Gifts with a purpose – Many organizations have great online shops with merchandise that supports the cause.
- Museum Shops – Not only will you be supporting art in your community, but you can find great gifts by local artists, fair trade goods, collectable books, and eclectic knick knacks.
- Locally owned businesses – By shopping at local businesses, you not only support the store, but the community benefits.
- Gifts of service – Print up a coupon or certificate and you might change someone’s life, or at least give them a much needed break.
- Buying Handmade – You directly support the artist who loves doing what they do and you show, with your dollars, how important art and crafts are to you.
- DIY – With so much commercialization and cheap production, a hand knitted hat carries that much more meaning.
To read the complete article – click here.