Celebrating its 12th year, America Recycles Day (ARD) is the only nationally recognized day dedicated to encouraging Americans to recycle and to buy recycled products.
Did you know?
- Americans throw away enough office paper each year to build a 12 foot high wall of paper from NY to Seattle.
- Making paper from recycled paper reduces contributions to air pollution by 95%.
- Recycling a stack of newspapers just 3 ft high saves one tree.
- Every 3 months, Americans landfill enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet.
- The average person has the opportunity to recycle more than 25,000 cans in a lifetime.
- Recycling a single aluminum can saves enough energy to power a TV for 3 hours.
- U.S. recycled 3.3 billion pounds of post-consumer plastics in 2005, keeping it out of landfills.
- The plastic recycling industry provides jobs for more than 52,000 American workers.
- 5 PET (plastic soda) bottles yield enough fiber for one extra large T-shirt, one square foot of carpet, or enough fiber fill to fill one ski jacket.
The purpose of America Recycles Day is to continue to promote the social, environmental and economic benefits of recycling and encourage more people to join the movement toward creating a better natural environment.
Click here to find out what America Recycles events are happening in your area.
You can also take the America Recycles pledge, just click here.