Its that time of year when all the students are out trying to find the school supplies they need, the strongest back packs, and a new wardrobe so they can look their best when they show up to school that first day. Well its not hard to be green when your back to school shopping. Here are a few tips to keep in mind while making your way through the stores.
- First off, check through what you already have, if you have left over paper, pencils or any other supplies – don’t buy any more, use what you have.
- Don’t buy just because its a good sale, if you don’t need it then its just a waste of money and resources.
- For the supplies you do need to buy try to stick to recycled, eco-friendly school supplies.
- The best thing to do is see if your student can get by with the back pack they have from last year. Reusing is the greenest, most eco-friendly thing you can do for the environment.
- For college bound students a Solar Backpack is very handy and green.
- Another brand thats built to last and has a recycle program is TimBuk2.
- Owl 100% Recycled Deluxe Compu-Backpack.
- Have your student go through their clothes and pull out what still fits and what they can still wear and then make a list of what they need.
- Check out your local Goodwill or Thrift Store for some great eco-friendly deals.
- Recycle your old clothes into something new. How to Make a Whole New Wardrobe by Recycling Your Clothes from wikiHow.
- For some of your have-to-buy-new needs, try and find items that are Eco-friendly either by the material they are made from (such as hemp or bamboo) or how there company take steps to make the environment better.