While people are reconsidering their travel plans due to the high cost of gas, you should know that an RV vacation can be more of a green solution than you think.
Here are 9 tips to help you green your motor home.
- Don’t waste fuel. As with any automobile, you can maximize your RV’s fuel efficiency by checking tire air pressure, keeping your vehicle up to date on oil changes and drive safely.
- Rough it. Your motor home may be equipped with all the latest technology but you didn’t drive 100’s of miles to sit inside eating tv dinners and watching tv. Try to avoid using microwaves, tv’s, and AC if you can.
- Learn how to conserve. Learn to adapt by conserving water and food. As you travel, you will find at times you have no easy access to certain items, making you more aware of how you use them.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with LED lighting, even running and parking lights. This alone will help you save a lot of battery power.
- Plan your travels according to the weather. If its cold, go south, if its hot, go north. That way you’ll stay comfortable and not have to rely on running energy sucking AC’s or heaters.
- Dispose of waste properly. If you create waste make sure you dispose of it properly. Sometimes you just cant recycle or reuse something.
- Use reusable plates, bowls and silverware. If you must use disposable, use paper products, this helps reduce landfill decomposition time.
- Install a propane catalytic heater. A catalytic heater uses no electricity, provides radiant heat, and saves you battery power, lessoning the need for generator run time. It also uses considerably less propane too.
- Consider converting to propane, its cleaner burning with much less CO emissions than gasoline.