Whenever I am up in Portland I try to stop at Whole Foods to pick up some organic goodies. Here in Salem we have one store, Lifesource, although a great store, its pretty tiny, hence the need to stop at a bigger, cheaper store when possible.
WholeFoods offers a ton of informational and educational brochures at their door to help you understand different things like the Vegetarian Diet, Handling Seafood Properly and this one about Organics and you.
Here are 9 great reasons why you should buy organic when possible:
- Organic farming meets the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations.
- Growing organically supports a biologically diverse, healthy environment.
- Organic farming practices help protect our water resources.
- Organic agriculture increases the land’s productivity.
- Many organic farms are small, independent and family-run..
- Organic farmers are less reliant on non-renewable fossil fuels.
- Organic products meet stringent USDA standards.
- Buying organic is a direct investment in the long-term future of our planet.
- Organic farmers preserve diversity of plant species.
For more information on How the National Organic Standards Evolved, Reading Organic Labels and more click here.