While much of being green means, walking or riding your bike to and fro, there are still times when you need a car to get you from one place to the other. So for those instances its best to keep your vehicle running at peak performance, which in turn reduces your emissions.
Below are 10 tips to maintaining a car in a more sustainable way.
1. Maintenance – Keep current with your vehicle maintenance, such as tune-ups and oil changes. By replacing the oil and oil filters, it improves the fuel efficiency and helps the vehicle to last longer. Make sure and recycle old batteries when they need to be replaced.
2. Acceleration – When possible avoid quick accelerations and speeds above the posted limits, as these actions reduce gas mileage.
3. Proper Oil Disposal – Call the local government waste management agency or visit earth911.com to find out how and where to dispose oil properly.
4. Reduce Drag – Remove extra items attached to a vehicle that create drag, such as roof racks, to reduce car weight and improve gas mileage.
5. Tires – Check the air pressure in a car’s tires regularly; under inflated tires require an engine to work harder and use more fuel to maintain a given speed. And make sure the car is in alignment, unaligned tires wear out faster.
6. Tighten or Fix the Gas Cap – A loose, cracked or missing gas cap lowers gas mileage and emits harmful emissions. Make sure and tighten your gas cap after every fill-up.
7. Air Filters – Check the air filter. A dirty air filter can reduce gas mileage. Also, air filters, usually made of plastic, steel and paper, can be recycled.
8. Limit Drag – Idling for more than 10 seconds uses more gas and causes more pollution than simply restarting your engine.
9. Reduce Care Use – Group errands together to eliminate unnecessary driving.
10. Choose a Sustainable Auto Shop – When choosing a mechanic look for one that is dedicated to sustainable practices and participates in general and metal recycling.