December 17, 2009
Its not always easy to find gifts for guys, especially those guys that have it all and don’t need a thing.
Below is a list of great green gifts for that hard-to-buy-for guy in your life.
Tree Hugger Tee’s – Free shipping on orders over $50. Each 100% organic cotton tee costs $25. and they have a bunch of fun ones to choose from.
Recycled Necktie & Suit Wallets from Uncommon Goods – Recycled neckties and suits turn into wallets for the eco-friendly man.
Shake and Shine Flashlight – Handy little no-battery emergency flashlight is extremely bright and reliable. It never needs batteries and generates power by converting mechanical energy (shaking) into electrical energy to power the light.
Bike Chain Bottle Opener – Uncap your favorite beverage with this bottle opener made of recycled bike chain.
Spread the Word!
December 10, 2009
If you have a chef in your family, someone who loves food and loves to cook, check out the list below of 6 wonderful, green, Eco-friendly Christmas gifts for the food lover in your life.
- Duo Pressure Cooker from Fagor – This contemporary update on the classic pressure cooker recycles stainless steel in streamlined modern design with high-functioning performance.
- The Organic Wine Company Monthly Wine Club – Each month, they will send you a selection of 3 wines from our collection. New vintages or interesting, but rare wines will be offered in priority to expand your horizons!
- Cast Iron Skillet from Lodge Logic – Its legendary cooking performance keeps it on the list of kitchen essentials for great chefs and home kitchens alike. And check out their Eco-responsibility practices.
- Organic Spice Collection – Each spice can contains 12 one-teaspoon packets. These flavorful organic herbs complement the global cuisines of today’s kitchen. Includes, Basil, Dill Weed, Oregano, Rosemary, Tarragon and Thyme.
- Green Your Kitchen – Includes everything you need to green your kitchen and replace those non green items that you have been keeping around.
- Bamboo Salad Bowls – 100% organically-grown bamboo, non-toxic adhesive, natural food-safe wood oil. These bowls are made from vertical-grain bamboo, which makes them not only beautiful, but also extremely durable. They do not impart or absorb flavors.
Spread the Word!
September 24, 2009
Green Lemonaide is a site that helps you introduce to your friends and family the wonderful world of reduce, reuse and recycle. Help others become green by giving them a Green Lemonaide kit to get started. These are great for those people who have no clue where to begin.
GreenLemonaide is part giving, part saving. Call it responsible gift-giving. Our green starter kits spread knowledge and a feeling of contribution with easy-to-use, everyday products that lessen the impact on our world. It’s a different way of thinking about gift giving that we hope will spark a different way of thinking about the environment.
They offer 4 different kits full of products such as cloth napkins, Sigg water bottles, compact fluorescent bulbs, faucet aerator, surge protector, and shower timers just to name a few. All in a reusable tote.
Check them out and give a helping hand to those around you.
Spread the Word!
May 7, 2009
Oh my, I almost forgot, Mothers Day is just around the corner, literally! Its this Sunday. Have you picked out something lovely for your wonderful mum? If not, can I make some suggestions? Below I have a list of green, eco-friendly gifts for mothers of all ages.
Candles – Try a scent of SCANDAL candle – Make your mother feel like she is all that with scents like Hot Mama, or Green Queen. Eco-friendly, hand poured, 100% soy wax candle and completely metal-free all-cotton wicks. Offering more than forty scents.
Chocolates – FINE & RAW is raw chocolate. Crafted using conscious ingredients with artisan low heat techniques to keep raw vitality. Cunningly absent of sugar, dairy and additives.
Jewelry – Recycled LP Jewelry from WrecordsByMonkey. They have a Heritage Collection with jewelry that is reminiscent of flea market relics and antique shop treasures, this collection’s unique combination of vintage imagery with recycled materials showcases another level of WrecordsByMonkey’s design style.
Bath & Body Products – Organic Bath Co. is dedicated to making high quality, organic, skin care products at an affordable price. They are committed to avoiding the use of the potentially harmful chemicals, preservatives and artificial ingredients. They use recycled and recyclable materials in all their packaging and strive to produce, market and distribute our products with the least possible negative environmental impact.
Flowers – Recycled Newspaper Roses are an eco-friendly alternative to fresh flowers. Handmade by Girls Club members, these flowers never die!
Bedding – 100% Organic Cotton Duvets, Towels, Sheets, Blankets and Throws from Under the Canopy. They work with certified organic and sustainable fibers and manufacture with a focus on “human first” working conditions.
Spread the Word!
January 24, 2009
2. Endangered Species Chocolate – Endangered Species Chocolate is 100% Ethically Traded. Choosing their chocolate is one way you can help support sustainable forest farmland and the species that flourish there.
3. Pangea Organics Massage Oils – All of their product boxes are made using a new Zero Waste process with 100% post-consumer paper and organic seeds. Simply slip off the label, soak the box in water for a minute and plant it in the earth.
4. Cocoa Vino Bon Bons – Fruity, lush organic Malbec is folded into a creamy dark chocolate center, then encased in dark chocolate. Bonbons are made with fresh ingredients & without preservative.
5. Lumia Organic Candles – Lumia has developed its own exclusive 100% biodegradable organic wax. None of their wax blends contain any petroleum products and they use only cotton wicks.
6. Patagonia Organic Cotton Boxers – Boxers this soft are usually only created after several seasons of use – and often get stolen by girlfriends before they can be fully appreciated. Thankfully, our 100% organic cotton version comes 100% covet-ready.
7. 100% Bamboo Twill Sheet Set – Sheets are all natural, hypo-allergenic and bacteria resistant, allowing for a clean and restful sleeping environment.
8. Hemp Satin Underwear at Green Knickers – Multi-functional, non-toxic, natural, and sustainable hemp underwear.
9. Preserve Triple Razor – Handle is made from 100% recycled plastic, Titanium coated triple blades with Vitamin E and Aloe lubricating strip offer a close shave and are easy to replace.
10. Organic Bouquet – Organic Bouquet offers sustainably grown flowers fresh from their partner farms. At Organic Bouquet, you’ll enjoy eco-luxury at eco-nomical prices.
Spread the Word!
December 12, 2008
I was watching the news last night and it showed a family who had been robbed, all their Christmas gifts had been stolen from under their tree. They were, with right, devastated. I turned and looked at my husband and said, well they could come take the gifts from under our tree! Because we have none! We both laughed because we seriously have not bought any Christmas gifts yet.
I have taken the homemade challenge and so I have all these great ideas of things I can make but haven’t seemed to find any time to make them. I had hoped to make my daughters some pajama pants, mittens and scarves. I have started a project or two but not finished any of them as of yet.
Well today I thought I would share some of my DIY craft findings so you can be green and save some green.
1. Over at getrichslowly.org they have 34 Great Christmas Gift Ideas. My favorites are the Secret Hollow Book, Marble Magnets, and the Teacup candles.
2. SewMamaSew has an amazing assortment of easy to make Christmas Gifts for anyone on your list. Check out The Ultimate Handmade Holidays Master List 2008.
3. Martha Stewart has a list of some nice Handmade Gifts.
4. Another of my favorite projects that I hope to make before Christmas are these Upcycled Wrist Cuffs. Great gifts for Teens.
5. Skip to my Lou has plenty of pretty girly gifts for making by hand.
6. The last one I will list is How About Orange,,,. They have a nice long list of DIY tutorials to check out.
So if you have the bug now and you are in the mood to make some wonderful Christmas gifts than get to looking on the internet at the tutorials and ideas that are out there. I havent even tipped the scale yet. Come back and share what you find!
Spread the Word!
December 10, 2008
1. Anycom Solar Car Kit – The Anycom Solar Car Kit conveniently affixes to your windshield with suction cups, enabling you to have cell-phone conversations while keeping your hands on the wheel. Not only does its rechargeable lithium polymer battery provide up to 15 hours talk time; it also has a high-performance so-lar panel on the back, capable of soaking up sunlight to power your calls. With sufficient sunlight, three hours of charging will provide 30 minutes of talk time.
2. Iqua 603 Sun Bluetooth Headset – The first solar-powered Bluetooth headset in the world. This wireless device has a photovoltaic cell that uses any available light — outdoors and indoors — to charge itself and extend its operation times. The 603 Sun offers about 12 hours of phone time with a standard charge.
3. Apple MacBook Air – The MacBook Air has a recyclable aluminum enclosure, as well as a mercury-free LCD display with arsenic-free glass. Inside, the system contains no brominated flame retardant, and the cables are PVC-free. These green criteria and other have earned the system a Gold rating from EPEAT, which grades computing products based on their greenness. The lean, green machine consumes the least power among all Macs: It can run for five hours without its batteries needing to be recharged.
4. HP TouchSmart IQ500 Series – One of the interesting features of the TouchSmart is that it features HP software designed specifically for touch. The environmental advantages of the TouchSmart are many. To begin with, the machine itself uses 55 percent less metal and 37 percent less plastic than standard PCs and monitors. Moreover, HP’s power management technology provides up to 45 percent energy savings compared to PCs without power management enabled. The system complies with the RoHS directive and has earned a Silver rating from EPEAT.
5. Vers 2X – The Vers Audio 2X is a minute iPod docking sound system with two three-inch speakers, yet it produces a rich, natural full-range sound. The eucalyptus and pine wood stock used for the system walls comes from locally sourced and managed plantations; all the trees that are harvested are replanted. In building Vers systems, the entire tree – roots, trunk, bark, branches, and twig — is used. The company doesn’t add formaldehyde to its wood, either. Additionally, the Vers 2X system is designed for easy disassembly, making it easier to recycle at the end of its life.
6. Dell Hybrid Studio Desktop – The Hybrid Studio’s green appeal is its high level of energy efficiency: Consuming 70 percent less power than a typical desktop, the machine surpasses the requirements laid out by Energy Star for desktops. These traits help earn the machine a Gold rating from EPEAT. The sleekly designed system is 80 percent smaller than standard desktops, which means it contains less plastic and other non-biodegradable materials than its rivals.
7. Hybrid Solar Light – The Solar Lite makes sure you’re never left in the dark by combining solar power and lithium-ion batteries for a perfect mix of renewable energy and a super-long use time. It charges via artificial light or sunlight, and can hold a solar charge for as long as three years. The one-watt LED bulb is a greener option for a powerful, bright light.
8. SolarGorilla and PowerGorilla – Designed to pack a solar charged punch, the Solar Gorilla and Power Gorilla Solar Charger Kit will give you the freedom to power and charge all your portable electronics from the sun, with the added benefit of storing a charge for use when you don’t have access to sunlight.
9. Home Manageables – The Homemanageables Starter Kit is the flexible, quick, and easy home control and monitoring solution that puts vital information about your home and family at your fingertips. The Starter Kit also helps you save on energy costs. This wireless system will give you freedom you never dreamed possible. As a holiday special, Homemanageables will offer a 20% discount on our starter kits. They are a great way to get started in home automation. You can immediately start saving on your energy costs by only using electricity when you need it. It is also real fun to use! Just enter coupon code “GLFSK” at checkout to receive the 20% discount.
10. [re]Drive External Hard Drive – The energy-efficient, resource-conscious external hard drive made with renewable, naturally grown bamboo and recyclable aluminum, the most recycled metal on the planet. These durable materials come together to create a unique design that looks and stays cool, without noisy fans. Add to that a low-power hard drive and Energy Star power adapter, and you’ve got a storage and backup solution that keeps your grid demands to a minimum.
Spread the Word!
December 9, 2008
1. Apple Tree To Be Kit – The Apple Tree To Be kit is a memorable and creative gift that will keep on giving. This particular tree produces Ralls Janet apples. An aluminum tag is provided for a personalized inscription to be placed on the tree. This kit contains everything you need to start your very own orchard.
2. CSA Membership – Who wouldn’t love a weekly box of lyrical vegetables delivered via your gift of a CSA membership? Find a Community Supported Agriculture farm near you at Local Harvest and give the gift that keeps on giving.
3. AeroGarden PRO100 with Gourmet Herb Seed Kit – Enjoy fresh greens at every meal no matter what the season. With AeroGrow’s AeroGarden garden kit, it’s easy to cultivate lettuce, cherry tomatoes, herbs, chili peppers, edible flowers, and more in an energy-efficient, organic-based environment right in the kitchen.
4. Gobblet – Gobblet is the Multiple Award-Winning, Fun Game of Strategy. As easy as Tic-Tac-Toe, Gobblet can be learned in a few seconds and is fun to play again and again. Beautifully crafted, Gobblet is entirely made of wood and includes a great box with self-storage for all pieces. Great for the whole family!
5. A Beautiful Plant – House plants make great family gifts. Check your local farmers market or local orchard, you can find some amazing house plants.
6. Recycled Flatware Wind Chimes – This reclaimed flatware has been given a melodious new life. Clever conversions which will change the way you look at your silverware.
7. Personalized Scrabble Tile Name Plate – Something for the desk, nightside table, kitchen counter, or front door? Spell out your own name, message or inspiration in nine letters, or less.
8. Zafu Meditation Pillow – Meditate in peace on our recycled plastic bottle zafu meditation pillow. Made with Re-Run fabric (from plastic bottles), each cushion is filled with 100% certified organic buckwheat hulls and keeps 3 plastic bottles out of landfill!
9. DOT Coasters – Made from re-used metal traffic signs which are hand-pressed, formed and finished. Each set is composed of mixed-colors in differing patterns.
10. 3 Herb Organic Wreath – A stunning handmade 3-herb wreath is beautifully crafted with organic fresh rosemary, thyme and bay leaves and accented with fresh red chili peppers. All can be saved and enjoyed in recipes for up to a year.
Spread the Word!
December 8, 2008
1. Potted Plants – Recycle and go down to your nearest thrift store and buy a beautiful tea pot, mug, or whatever item you think a plant would look great in and pick out a easy to care for plant at the store. Present the potted plant to the teacher with a ribbon and a handmade card from the child.
2. Recycled Notebook with Pencil – Hard cover spiral bound notebook made with recycled chipboard cover & recycled wire & pen port. Includes recycled biodegradable newspaper pencil & recycled paper printed with Soy ink.
3. Knitted Scarf – Have the child knit a scarf for their teacher, with these easy instructions – How to Knit a Scarf for Beginners.
4. Handmade Apron – Recycle material from clothes that no longer fit or visit your local thrift store for material and make an apron. Some are very easy. For patterns and tutorials click here.
7. Burts Bees Gift Sets – Choose from an assortment of gift sets from the Treats for Your Feet pack to the Overnight Bee-Uty Bag. Any teacher would love to recieve a gift set from Burts Bees.
8. Laptop Lunch Bento Set – Laptop Lunches are American-style bento boxes designed to help families pack nutritious, environment-friendly lunches for school, work, and travel. Our sustainable lunch containers are reusable, recyclable, and dishwasher safe.
9. Soy Candles – Hand Crafted, Made to Order, and 100% Soy Wax.
Spread the Word!
December 5, 2008
1. Bamboo Baseball Bat – For the baseball star in your life! Bamboo is a fast-growing, renewable resource that doesn’t need to be treated with pesticides or herbicides.
2. Fair-Trade Sports Balls – Certified fair-trade footballs, soccer balls, and basketballs are manufactured by workers who receive a reasonable wage, and child labor is never used.
3. STOTT PILATES Eco-Friendly Mat – Designed especially for Pilates, yoga and other mat work exercises. Made from TPE (Thermal Plastic Elastomer) foam, the mat contains no PVC or latex, and is chloride free, making it 100% recyclable and biodegradable.
4. Baseball Bean Bag Chair – Using the best sources of materials, lead-free vinyl inks, 100% pre-consumer recycled polystyrene beads and other components.
5. Greenbrella Umbrella – For the golf fans! GREENBRELLA utilizes recycled soda bottles (PET) for it’s canopy along with natural wood handles. Their unique design let’s everyone know that you care about the environment.
6. SolLight LightCap 200 Solar Cap Lantern – Turn your water bottle into a solar powered lantern with the SolLight LightCap 200.
7. Splaff Wide Recycled Tube Belt – For the Bike Lovers! Made from recycled bike inner tubes and all natural hemp fabric, the Slaff wide belt is handcrafted with integrity.
8. Voltaic Systems Converter Backpack – The Voltaic solar bags are mobile solar power generators designed to charge virtually all handheld electronics. It is a small light weight day bag with a compartment for a water bladder, so it is ideal for biking and hiking.
9. Climbing Rope Chalk Bag – Made with tough 100% Hemp canvas exterior body panels, 100% recycled PET fleece chalk liner, and colorful reclaimed climbing rope trim.
10. Super Green Boards – Using Bamboo, very low VOC epoxy, and Super Green Boards is currently testing a fiberglass alternative made from finely woven strands of bamboo.