Last night I was talking with my friend Kari from Twin Mama Loves, and she was asking me about Melamine and if I knew if it was safe to eat off of or not. And sadly I didn’t and I figured this is important stuff, I should know this. She has some melamine dishes and wasnt sure if she should use them being concerned about what toxins could be in them. I started looking around and here is some of what I found.
From Sarah’s Cucina Bella post back in May of 2007, she writes;
But after weeks of coverage of the tainted pet food that has killed countless pets from kidney failure, it’s come to light that the chemical pesticide that harmed the animals was melamine - the same chemical that is in the melamine resin that my son’s plates are made of. It’s bad enough that the harmful chemical has made it’s way into our food supply.
What I am understanding is that if ingested, melamine is not safe, but to simply eat off the plates isn’t bad unless they are heated to significant discoloration. The “scare” with melamine is based on the use of melamine powder as a protein source in food additives. It makes stuff “look” as if it has more food value to chemical tests for content, and, because product was analyzed in this way, it sneaked into the food chain – pet food in particular. Hence the problem with animals getting sick and dying.
So I am not sure I am on board with the using of Melamine dishes, I think they are very collectable and so people are afraid to maybe say that they aren’t good to be eating off of, especially if you don’t know the people that used them, not knowing if they used the microwave a lot.