August 6, 2009
6 Reasons You Should Buy Organic Meat
I have to say grocery shopping is probably my most favorite thing to do aside from eating the food that I purchase. So in my grocery shopping experiences I don’t come across organic meat very often, unless I am at a store that specializes in organic, natural foods. But the average grocery store doesn’t carry much organic meat. And meat is probably the most important item to buy organic, aside from dairy products.
Here are 6 reasons why you should buy organic meat:
1. Organic meat is free of antibiotics, added hormones, GMO feed and other drugs. Animals raised organically are not allowed to be fed antibiotics, the bovine human growth hormone or other artificial drugs. Animals are also not allowed to eat genetically modified foods. Further, animal products certified as organic can not have their genes modified.
2. Animals aren’t forced to be cannibals. Animals are fed 100% organic feed without ground up animal parts.
3. Animals are treated more humane and more likely raised without cruelty. Factory farms treat animals like commodities, and they are kept in tightly confined pens and often never move more than a few feet their whole lives. Words like free-range and ranch raised are clues that the animals were raised in a more human way.
4. Organic farms use manure as organic fertilizer. On small, diverse farms, manure is used to naturally fertilize soil. Industrial farms produce so much manure, on the other hand, that it is a human health risk.
5. Fewer chemicals are used on organic farms. Synthetic pesticides and fertilizers are not used on the food or land. Residues of persistent chemicals such as DDT, PCBs, dioxin, and many pesticides concentrate in animal fat. Eating organic animal fat reduces your exposure to these chemicals.
6. The money you spend on the organic meat supports the farm they come from. You can contribute to the well-being of your community by supporting small, local, diverse organic farms.